Thursday, March 5, 2009

How To Change The World

I was sitting in a coffee shop today, writing in my journal. I'm trying to envision a new future for myself and those around me. Writing about it and articulating my thoughts helps to add momentum and focus my efforts...

Then...

I started listening to some gentlemen next to me who were talking about politics and leadership. My last post was actually about something very similar - the lack of 'political leadership' (hmmm, is that a contradiction in terms?) in this great country of ours.

These men were expressing their similar feelings of angst and discontent with the current political landscape. The lack of radical change that we would like to see come from these people. Peter Garrett came up...they noticed how someone like him who was so passionate about change has come up against the bureaucracy and red tape of our political system. "It has usurped his passion and capacity to change..." they mused.

And its true. The system now in place SLOWS change, impedes its course. "Oh, you can't possibly change that without changing all this too...that's too hard. Don't bother." I'm paraphrasing, but this is what the gentlemen believed had gone through Peter Garrett's head once he made it into our political system.

Government is becoming an increasingly useless institution in a world that demands and requires rapid adjustment and agile response. That is now up to the individual.

If you want change, you have to make it. Don't rely on it dropping out of the sky, because it won't.

If you want a different world then you have to shape it yourself. Don't wait. Don't make excuses. Don't watch TV and try and forget about it.

Just get on with it. Do it now while we still have a chance.

No comments: